Sunday, May 19, 2013

THE FRIENDLY TOWN

I moved to the town of Kareedouw on the R62 in the Langkloof  four months ago. I created this blog for the area about a week ago. I grew up in the area on a farm in the Tsitsikamma just on the other side of the mountain range against which the town is situated. Now it is time to publish a new post on this blog and I realise I have no idea about Kareedouw's history, even though you might say it has been my home town for all these years.

So I googled its history, but merely came across the usual tourism write-ups that try to make something of a very tiny town that is not well-known at all and seems to have no claim to fame. It used to host an annual Karrie (honey beer) Festival, but not anymore. So what is Kareedouw about, then?

I'll tell you what: It is about friendliness.

Having lived in cities for many years, good coffee, good food, lekker takeaways and adequate grocery shops are important to me. I haven't tried out all the local restaurants, but I am fine in the areas mentioned. I shall compliment businesses by name on other occasions whenever I can. But my first experience after moving here, is the friendliness of the people of Kareedouw - and their neighbourliness.

These qualities are not found everywhere. I have lived in two towns in different provinces that have disappointed me gravely in those areas, so much so that I have become rather paranoid about strangers and even about neighbours.

It is a relief to feel at home again.

I studied at the University of Port Elizabeth and then moved to Pretoria to work as translator of the SA Post Office headquarters. People used to stop me in the street to ask me where I was from, as I seemed too friendly to be from Pretoria.

Having visited PE again after moving here, I now realise that it is indeed the friendly city. I do believe that the Eastern Cape is the friendly province.

It is good to be home.



No comments:

Post a Comment